Residential Project Planning

When you feel you have outgrown your property there are two options:

  1. Moving house to a larger property, but this can be disruptive and costly.
  2. Or consider an extension, internal alterations, or converting a loft or basement into habitable space.

Canute Surveyors offer a full service from putting your visions down onto paper, preparing your planning and building regulations applications and liaising with other consultants who may be required such as  structural engineers.

Do you always need planning permission?

Planning permission guidance can be found on the government website;  The portal has an interactive houses which helps provide straightforward guidance on what proposed works require and do not require planning permission.  It also explains the application process.

Some alterations are classed as permitted development and thereby do not require planning permission: under the following conditions:

* No more than half the area of land around the “original house” would be covered by additions or other buildings.

* No extension forward of the principal elevation or side elevation fronting a highway.

* No extension to be higher than the highest part of the roof.

* No single storey extension single or two-storey must not extend beyond the rear wall of the original house by more than three metres if an semi-detached or terraced house or by four metres if a detached house.

* Maximum height of a single-storey rear extension of four metres.

* Extensions of more than one storey must not extend beyond the rear wall of the original house* by more than three metres.

* Maximum eaves height of an extension within two metres of the boundary of three metres.

* Maximum eaves and ridge height of extension no higher than existing house.

* Side extensions to be single storey with maximum height of four metres and width no more than half that of the original house.

* Two-storey extensions no closer than seven metres to rear boundary.

* Roof pitch of extensions higher than one storey to match existing house.

* Materials to be similar in appearance to the existing house.

* No verandas, balconies or raised platforms.

* Upper-floor, side-facing windows to be obscure-glazed; any opening to be 1.7m above the floor.

Canute surveyors would always recommend consulting with a chartered surveyor to assess your proposals as the regulations are complex and often confusing and to ensure that your application complies with the submission requirements.

What other consents and permissions do you need?

Even where planning permission is not required, most works will require Building Regulation approval to ensure that all works carried out from the structural foundation, building construction to electrical installation works all comply with the regulations.  Canute surveyors  can manage this process preparing the required specification of works, detailed drawings and liaising with the structural engineer.

If you would like us to contact you to provide a quotation or discuss your requirements, or even just for some general advice please complete the form below and provide some details in the notes box.

Residential Extension and planning guide